Saturday, January 21, 2006

I have been reprimanded by vulture for not updating the blog. My apologies...I went through a sloggy time when I didn't feel like writing anything. Good luck on the job interview, by the way (and that's not just because, like meladuck, I want free bagels).

So yesterday, the Prairie Queen and I had our first official meeting with our non-profit group. Critter Care is a smallish place way out in south Langley, near the Canada/US border, which takes in orphaned critters (squirrels, skunks, raccoons, oppossums, beavers, marmots, coyotes, deer, rabbits, bears), rehabilitates them, and then releases them back in the wild. We think that it was a good meeting. We were there for an hour and a half. We were very lucky in that we received the "special tour." Because this place isn't a zoo, but is a rehab and release center, they keep the people/animal contact very low. There is only one day a year during which they allow the general public tour the place and see some animals. Unfortunately, they only had raccoons and a couple of oppossums. Fortunately, it was raccoons (and they were being quite mischievous) and BABY oppossums, which were being quite cute. Also, we got to see Hoover, who is their bobcat mascot. She was busy chewing on a bone, so we didn't get to see much of her.

The above photo, and this one of a very cute baby skunk, were taken last summer at their open house.

As I said, the meeting went well. They seemed genuinely enthusiastic about our project. They were helpful and open, and they gave us a lot to think about and read. Afterwards, the Prairie Queen and I went to Fatburger, which just recently opened in Langley. It is the second Canadian location for the famous American burger chain. The burgers were decent (except the crappy, foamy bun), but I'm still not sure if $3.50 for a plain burger is worth it. Sure, they're much better than McDonald's and the rest, but still....?

I think that next time, we're going to go to a little place I know for perogies. Mmmmmm, doughy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home