Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I have to blog the irony.

The "Classmate Who Shall Not Be Barbara" has told us several times that she used to work in the food service industry. I've worked off and on (and probably back on this summer) in the food service industry, and the one thing that I've noticed is that people who have or who do work in the food service industry are either the best restaurant customers or the worst. It usually depends on how damaged they are after having worked in the industry and how much hate they still harbour.

I sometimes go with Not Barbara to get coffee on our breaks, and I've noticed that she's not really the rude kind of former food service worker, but she's indifferent. And I try to let those things go, but yesterday I couldn't. Don't get all excited. There was no reprimanding. I just inserted the "thank you" which was missing. It was one of those "my conversation is more important than acknowledging your existence" kind of things that really irks me. Like people who can't get off their cell phones. Anyhow, Not Barbara was talking, so I thanked Kelly, who knows us both so well that when she sees us, she just asks "The usual?" It's a small thing. But I figure that if she knows me well enough to know my regular drink, then I know her enough to acknowledge that she exists.

I know that I'm not making her day by thanking her, but I think that not thanking her (or acknowledging her) could ruin the day for her. Perhaps I think too much.

We'll see what Diana says about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home