Tuesday, July 11, 2006

This is the blog about the wonderful day I spent with the Belles of Print Futures (as dubbed by Josie P), Brat and Meladuck, on Saturday, July 8. It started when I picked them up at the last stop for Skytrain. They had been there for too long. Luckily, none of it rubbed off on them...no spitting or cursing throughout the day. Well, at least none that I noticed.

We then headed to Critter Care, the wonderful wildlife refuge for which Sara and I wrote a research report. Writing that report was a long and tedious task, and we were delighted to see that they had not implemented any of our suggestions. Thanks for nothing. But really, we would have been surprised if they had implemented anything considering how busy they've been with all the babies.

The tour this year was pretty good, except that we got separated from the rest of our group. We got stuck in a group with a couple of families with kids. I know. Imagine that...people brought their kids. It wasn't so much that there were kids involved, it was more about the fact that they were tired and cranky when they got there, so having them on the tour was torture. At least Meladuck got to add to her list of reasons why she doesn't want to have children.

Anyhow, we saw lots of baby animals, including skunks and squirrels.
















The baby beavers were pretty cute too, although I didn't manage to get a photo of their tails.













Then we went to White Rock. Meladuck and Sara were starving. We stayed in the East Beach area, and found a delightfully tacky fish'n'chip joint. Unfortunately, my photos didn't fully realize the tackiness, although you get a hint of it by the look on the Belles' faces.














Then we walked around on the beach, with Mt. Baker all snowy in the background. We counted dead baby crabs (and lost count), the Belles fashion-watched ("Who wears Bebe jeans and stillettos to the beach?"), and had to wait for a train to get the hell outta our way so we could get some refreshing gelato. There wasn't enough time to walk out on the pier. Maybe we'll do it next time.























Then I unceremoneously dumped them off at Skytrain because I had to rush to work (Ugh!). I'd have to say that the only bad part of the day was that Brat got a sunburn. I'm sorry that I didn't warn her in advance that the sun might be out. Just chaulk it up to country ignorance. Sorry, city folk! I'll warn you about nature next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home