Friday, July 21, 2006

Whew. I've finally gotten around to blogging about work. So many people requested it after meeting Terry-Lynn (aka T-L or Her Majesty...that will be explained later). Her appearance at the PF forum this past Wednesday means that the secret is out: it's terribly cool to be alive, and it's especially cool to be an alive intern. But now, as of yesterday, the honeymoon is over. Josie and I officially got a work-spouse divorce. She's now gone on to other things (holidaying on Thetis Island, hosting a PF barbecue), while I'm still slogging away at the magazine.

Slogging because party time is over. The literary luncheon (hosted by alive's editorial department) was held last Tuesday. We interns were included in the planning from day one. It was my brilliant idea to have an Alice in Wonderland theme (those who know LC know how appropriate that theme is), so we could carry on with the tradition of poems that take the piss out of everyone at alive, word games, and costumes. I didn't know about the costumes until after I suggested A in W; then I was very, very scared. Luckily, T-L didn't have any costumes to fit me. We had to settle for T-L dressed as the Red Queen, Susan, (the assistant editor) dressed as the White Rabbit, and Josie (the other intern) dressed as Alice. Unfortunately, there was no film in Josie's camera (accident?), so I don't have any photographic evidence of her costume. However, here's a photo of the eic and the assistant eic en costume.



We had the picnic in the park across the street from the alive Publishing Group Inc.'s office. You can see a part of the muddy Fraser in the background. You'll have to believe me when I say that it was incredibly funny to see the Red Queen, The White Rabbit, and Alice running back and forth across the street. It's an industrial area, and I'm sure that many of the truckers who drove by blamed too many long hours and too many cups of coffee for the characters they saw. The rest of the editorial team (and me) transferred all the food we had prepared to a 16 foot, red-checkered table for the buffet lunch. During lunch, the alive staff was treated to a funny poem, recited by the Red Queen, about all the "wonders" of working for alive. After that, they played a "confounded compound noun" word and picture game for prizes. Those who finished first were free to play croquet (the wickets weren't numbered, but were in the order of the editorial process) and checkers on a 16X16 foot checkerboard. There was also an A in W themed crossword puzzle. There were "door" prizes, raffles, and a lot to clean up. Josie de-Aliced herself for the cleanup. I can't get the f-ing photo to work, so you'll have to just try to imagine it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home