Monday, September 04, 2006

My cousin and I just walked around the city last Thursday, doing a little shopping and site-seeing. We started at the train station, where I couldn't resist my photog's/tourist's instincts, and I had to take some photos.


As you can see, I do like to use natural lighting. It's a lovely train station...it has everything you want in a grand, old, stone train station except that it isn't in New York. Craig really wanted to show me the fancy urinals. He had told me about them a few days before. Although I do agree that they are quite special (porcelain and freestanding, like oddly shaped flowers coming out of the floor), they weren't worthy of photographing. Besides, it's where people pee. Then again, if I stuck to that rule, I wouldn't have too many photos, now would I?

From there, he dragged me to the hockey hall of fame, which isn't anything like I'd thought it would be. Somehow, someone has successfully incorporated a wonderful old building into a new complex. They bridged the buildings and the architectural styles using an almost futuristic glass hallway. I loved it.


We walked past the Gridiron Building (anyone know if this is correct?)

which is apparently famous and interesting. Perhaps it's more interesting when there are less trees blocking the sightlines. We were heading to the St. Lawrence Market, which is a good-sized market housed in an old warehouse.

To get there, we had to fight our way through a busker's festival. Every five feet, someone pestered us to "donate" at least $2 to the cause. In return, they would give us a sticker to wear which told the others to leave us alone. That's quite a catch-22. Either you pay them to leave you alone, or you pay them which validates them. We stuck with a grumpy "we're heading to the market", which got us through.

I really wish that I hadn't been so jaded at that particular time. When we got into the market, I was all "our Granville Island market is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than this market. This market could only dream of being as great as Granville Island." So I didn't take any photos, but I did buy myself a few second hand books. One is apparently about the history of footnotes. And I ask you, doesn't that interest you just a little? It got my attention. Yes, I know...I'm a word geek. Get over it.

After escaping the market, we walked the long walk to the still-in-development Distillery District. Along the way, Craig and I talked about my sister and his father, and death, and all kinds of fun, happy things like how a death in the family can rip it apart. We ended with a "well that went to a fun place", and then dove into the market for a few hours of over-priced shopping and eating.

The district is amazing. It's kind of like Yaletown, but without the residential compnonent. It's just all shops, galleries, and eateries in refurbished and redesigned brick warehouses.




We walked around, shopped a bit, had lunch (really expensive fish and chips...apparently it's a rarity in Ontario), and bought chocolate and had gelato at the most amazing chocolate shop. It's called Soma, and they make their own chocolate from the cocoa bean. They buy the whole beans, roast them, grind them, and then make chocolates.


As I was picking out my purchases, one of the nice but pretentious staffers encouraged me to use a basket because my body heat will melt the chocolate. That's great advice, but what does she think is going to happen when I take the chocolate outside into the 90 degrees of humidity? Hmmm, precious, what's going to happen then?

We met a couple of dogs in the district. They were both very scary, and were "on duty" keeping their stores safe, so we didn't bother them beyond taking their photos.



The day kind of fell apart from this point. Craig decided that we should walk to Cabbagetown. I have no idea where we went. But we walked for quite a while until he gave up to my whinging (have I mentioned the new hip problem? It hurts when I walk). By this time, we were in one of Toronto's two Chinatown's. We took a cab back to the financial district. We wandered a bit from there. I have to admit that I can't really remember how this day ended. I think that we went back a little early because we had to rent a car for the next two days. So we went back to his apartment and watched Season 5 of The Simpsons while we rented a car. Friday, we were heading off to Niagara Falls, so we wanted an early start.

Addendum:
I forgot to mention that we stopped by the CBC gift shop while wandering around the business district. I really wanted to find some really tacky Degrassi Jr High-related souvenir for a certain rabid fan/friend. But alas, I couldn't find anything. This is possibly because Degrassi was the one, flukey Canadian tv program that wasn't associated with the CBC. I'm sure that I will be filled in by Evil Xine. She'll have to settle for something bought in Mennonite country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home