Saturday, January 06, 2007

A general plea.

Those of you who wish to be in e-touch with me, or with whom I'd like to be in e-touch (you know who you are) will have to tag me first. My addresses disappeared when my computer committed suicide at the end of last semester. I still haven't gotten over that. After all I'd done for it! The stupid machine hurled itself into the digital abyss two days before the end of semester.

It's been about a month. Really, I'm over it.

You would think I would have too much to write about after having been away from the blog for so long. Sadly, that isn't the case. My Christmas and New Year's were both blessedly quiet. In the past, our Christmases have been huge family affairs. But due to dwindling numbers of people and a noticeable lack of children (except my cousin's grandson. But he wasn't around this year. I prefer it that way. Whatever. If that makes me a bad person, so what.), this Christmas was really quiet. In some ways, it's kind of pathetic. When there used to be a core group of 12 that sometimes swelled to 20, we now have a group of eight. We used to eat, talk, laugh, sing carols, and stay up late waiting to open presents after midnight. And for a few years, when we kids were young, there were skits and performances...we had to dance for our parents. It was a bit "stage mom", except none of us grew up to be pageant winners (most probably because there was only one female). I now can see that this was a twisted way of distracting us kids. There was no whining about opening presents. We were too busy changing costumes and singing out. (No Xine, there were no "jazz hands". You can erase that image from your brain.)

And for the last few years, I've been working at golf courses, so New Year's Eve took on a particularly loathsome tone. The last couple of years, I've had to work weddings on NYE. And I ask you...how freaking selfish is that? The only way a wedding couple could be more obnoxiously self-centered would be to have their wedding on another major holiday like Christmas or even Valentine's Day (I know, I know...V-day is a totally fictitious, money-grabbing "holiday". But still, some people like to celebrate ON THEIR OWN.) So this year, not having to work until 3 am, I took it easy. The truth is, though, that I've been working NYE for so many years now that I wouldn't know what to do with myself. Oh well, maybe I'll figure something out for next year.

Well, that's the summary of my little holiday. I've been working quite a bit at the mag, doing a little editorial cleanup while T-L had her operation. But we'll be back to school soon, and I'll be seeing all of you whom I haven't seen over the last month. I'm so sorry that we didn't get together to do stuff. I would have really liked to. Somehow, I didn't have time. But I promise to make time in the future.

See you all on Monday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home