Sunday, October 29, 2006

Anyone who checked out my Flickr page recently (and really, why would you), will have noticed that I've posted some very boring photos of the new front door my parents recently bought and had installed. It's shiny and new and safe and soundproof and draftproof and far from anything I would have picked out. It's too ornate with all its fake brassness and etched and carved glass. Give me an Arts and Crafts knock-off and I'd be happy.

I had to post the photos because my parents wanted to share them with friends and family. After I posted them, though, my mother had a little moment of self doubt. She worried that some people might think that she and my dad are nuts for spending around $8,000 (there were 7 doors in total, well, two sets of french doors and...I'm not going to explain) for new doors for their nearly 40-year old house. Her worry is not unfounded. It is a 40-year old, two storey house. They are both 67-years old. They shouldn't be climbing stairs...they shouldn't even be near stairs. But they are paranoid and grounded, so they're not going to sell and move. Fine.

But back to the worry that people might think that they're crazy. Maybe I'm the crazy one. I'm thinking that if these people stuck around after my parents bought a toddler (my sister) a pony, and then built a barn and a corral for it in our back yard (JNads...I will be strong. I won't even mention the monkey.), then they will stick around after both of my parents have lost their minds, and have started renovating the house like that Winchester Widow, like they're running away from ghosts.

Or dressing the dog up like he's their baby. If that happens, I'll grab him and run. In the meantime, a friend of mine has a 60-year old swag lamp that she wants to give me. I'm extremely curious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home