Thursday, October 11, 2007

The new posts are coming quickly and furiously (maybe that's just my demeanor). In an extremely ironic moment at work today, I was faced with a situation which was close in theme to those described on a website the ever-watchful meladuck told me about.

One of the project managers with whom I work came over (stealthily...he needs a bell around his neck) to my cubicle and asked me, quietly, about an email I had sent earlier in the day. This email was a follow-up on an URGENT project (in his world) whose urgency had apparently dwindled. He had bugged me to finish updating a user guide by the end of September, which I almost accomplished. However, I didn't get it finished until the beginning of October, which was officially just one day late (if you don't count the weekend).

I had wondered why I hadn't received any feedback, so I sent him an email earlier this week asking him if he'd had a chance to look over the document. He crept into my cubicle this afternoon to ask if I had sent it to him. I assured him that I had. He asked if I had emailed it to him or given him a hard copy. Surprising myself, I was able to provide all the details: before I handed it over to him, he had asked me to highlight all of the new parts (so he didn't have to strain his weary mind by reading all 90+ pages). I hadn't written the original draft, so I didn't know what was new. So I had to find an earlier version, read/scan through the whole document, and highlight the new bits. It took a few hours, but I had done it, and handed it over to him.

And then he lost it.

I was surprised that I didn't lose it. I kept my composure, and happily encouraged him to look again because it would save me several hours if he found it. He agreed to have another look in his office, and turned away.

He wasn't 10 feet away when my co-worker turned to me and whisper/yelled "You've got to be fucking kidding me! He lost the document, and he wants you to clean up after him."

I was proud that I had been able to back myself up (and even identify the project/product the project manager was talking about). It was a very special moment. It was almost as if I knew what I was doing.

And then I hooked up the new dvr and it screamed. Well, we can't always be winning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home