Thursday, May 11, 2006

So I got to DC early yesterday before class, and had to eat alone (you BASTARDS). It wasn't so bad. I got to read for a bit, and then Peter showed up. He was in a bad mood, and it was quite evident. He had showed up early to DC to buy his books at the bookstore, but hadn't checked to see the bookstore's hours. He was fuming. So we sat and talked for a bit, and then Hillary showed up to share some news that might have dispelled some of Peter's ire. She, too, had shown up early (but earlier than Peter) to buy books. She got into the bookstore, but their computer was down; they were only taking cash. So in the end, Peter wouldn't have gotten his books, anyhow.

We chatted with Hillary for a bit, and I found out something interesting. Peter went and interview with/for EchoMemoirs last semester. That seemed weird because I was sure that I had talked about my interest in it. I can't help but wonder if he heard me talking about it and beat me to it. It sounds like his interview didn't go any better than mine did, so, I guess it will work out in the end? Still, it seems like a weird coincidence.

Peter and Hillary had to go outside for a smoke before class, so I went up by myself. At quarter to 7, there was no-one else there except Sheila and one of the outsiders (you BASTARDS...where were you?) Luckily, Sheila was turned away from the door, and she had this poor woman cornered (Sheila had done the unthinkable...she had chosen to sit right next to this woman in a completely empty classroom that could seat about 30 people). Sheila didn't hear me come in because she was totally engrossed in telling this woman some story. I don't know how she didn't know I was there...her captor totally gave me a broad "Hi. Save me!" smile. I just smiled back, and sunk into the corner, pretending that I had to do the readings at the last minute (which I did, so not much of a stretch). I was just figuring out that Sheila was talking about her own story when she said "And then the character took off her hat, and shook out her long, red hair. And I was so surprised, because up until that moment, the character was a man. I HATE it when the characters do that to you..." She went on for a while with that tract of thought, and then lost steam. That was when she turned around and saw me. I rudely (I know) kinda kept my nose in my book and exchanged pleasantries.

So you can see how interesting it was later when Sheila had that little show-down with Calvin about writing entirely from fiction. If he only knew, but I guess that he will know soon.

Meanwhile, I still admire her absolute conviction in herself and her abilities. She's sure got a healthy ego on her (I don't mean that in a bad way).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home