Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I am apparently on a ranting roll.

Although this happened on Sunday, I'm going to bring it up because I still haven't gotten over it.

My dad is going for surgery next week, so we're doing a lot of family things together while we can and while he's up and around. He'll be recovering for about 6 weeks, so that means that my parents won't be going anywhere for a while. Also, my mom wants to stock up on all kinds of treats. So this meant a trip to West Vancouver. Just before Christmas, I went to the naturopathic doctor for a supplement refill. While there, I stopped by a pie bakery I had a) seen and thought looked good, and b) read about, which confirmed its goodness. I'm a good boy (shut up) and bought a suck-up pie for my parents. It was lemon buttermilk with mixed berries. Delicious. By the way...the place is called Savary Island Pie Company. Check it out.

However, my mother was more impressed with the muffins I had bought there. Even since tasting their muffin-y goodness, she was planning/scheming how to get to West Van for another round of muffins. As it happened, I had to get muffins for the editorial meeting at the magazine, so I decided to go with them. Our plan was to go there, stop by the Tomahawk for breakfast, then wander around for a while before heading home and rescuing the dog. He can't go for more than 4 hours without my mother feeling super guilty, and scared that he might have an "accident". They've had him for about 6 years...he's never had an accident. In fact, when he's been sick, he's begged to be let out of the yard. I guess that he doesn't like to mess it up with puke. He doesn't poop in the yard, either.

My this has wandered into a weird tangent. Back to the rant.

From the Pie Company, I bought a dozen muffins (in two boxes), plus a brownie. As I was leaving, two women were walking towards the door to come in. So I swung out and around the door, holding it open with one hand while balancing my baked goodies on my other hand (those years of restaurant jobs paid off, somewhat). The women walked in right past me, didn't make eye contact, didn't thank me for holding the door. One was deep into an important conversation with her cell phone. The other one was scanning the room for tables. Granted, space was at a premium, and therefore people had to act fast to get a seat. But, seriously, what's wrong with a "thank you". I wasn't being sexist (I do realize that women can open doors for themselves). I was trying to not be rude and let the door slam obviously in their faces. In return, I got rudeness.

I called after them "You're WELCOME!" in my most sunny, passive-aggressive way. They still ignored me.

Amazingly, this didn't annoy me too much. We had a lovely day, ate too much at breakfast, looked at some of the old sights (my parents haven't been to North/West Van in years), and managed to rescue the dog before his bladder let go.

But later, when I thought about the incident, I became infuriated. Who did those women think they were? As far as I know, the Queen isn't visiting West Van. Even better, I don't work for the bakery (and therefore become invisible to some snotty people). How do people become so self-involved that doors open for them and they don't even question or notice how or why? Are they that special that doors automatically open for them wherever they go? What they need is for a door to close in their faces, then they'd notice the ones that are opened for them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home