Sunday, January 07, 2007

Yesterday, in my long re-introduction to the blogging world, I made the statement that nothing happened over Christmas. While that's mostly true (and therefore sad), I did manage to get out and do some things.

Most notably (and again, sad), I went to see The Polar Express in mind-wrenching 3-D IMAX, SURROUND SOUND overbearingness. Those of you who recall the triumphant, epic poem called "Dizzy" which was shared with everyone during Personal Therapy class last summer might be thinking...what was he thinking? He gets dizzy if he rolls his eyes (methinks I'm in for a dizzy semester)! How could he ever consider going to a movie so technologically advanced, so state-of-the-art, so certain to induce vomiting?

Well, I had nothing else to do. So I popped in a Gravol, and went.

It turned out to be not so bad. The movie itself was cute. Visually, it was stunning (not nauseatingly), and very close to the original art. I'm a big fan of Mr. Vans Allsburg...he specializes in black and white pencil drawings...an art form we colourblind can appreciate. The computer animation technology was a little annoying, just not quite natural, which was distracting.

You know what was also distracting? The teenage/young adult assholes who sat behind us mocking the cloying sentimentality in some foreign language. It's funny...you don't need to understand what a person is saying to understand all the mocking nuances. And, some of you might know that I do enjoy me some mocking nuances. But seriously...if you're watching a children's movie, especially a Christmas children's movie, then there's going to be some heavy, ridiculous sentimentality. Assume that when you enter the theatre and move on from there. You're not being clever or witty when you point out the obvious.

Something else you may be thinking is obvious is the fact that all of this might smell like hypocrisy? Yes, I will admit that, in my giddy youth, I did, occasionally, (I can't stress that enough) mock the movie I was watching, commenting loudly enough for all of the other movie patrons around me to hear. But I chose to voice my opinion only when I felt ripped off, watching a supposedly scary movie which turned out to be merely stupid instead. (Child's Play 2, anyone?)

Where am I going with all this? I don't know. But I can safely say what I didn't do this Christmas: puke.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home