Saturday, April 05, 2008

Classics

I don't know if it makes me less Canadian or what, but I've never read Anne of Green Gables. My elementary school put on a well-meaninged production of it way back in the day, and perhaps I figured that it was enough that I sat through the play.

The interest in AoGG has risen to a fever pitch in the last few years, undoubtably energized by other countries' fascination in this truly Canadian story. I don't know if it's still true, but a few years ago, Japanese couples were coming to Canada to have a truly AoGG wedding. But that isn't the depth of international interest.

In this morning's Vancouver Sun, there is an article about the answer a British journalist got when he asked one of Canada's international literary superstars, Margaret Atwood. When asked about how she thought Anne's story would/should end, Ms. Atwood replied "She would have ended up a disease-ridden prostitute".

Awesome. That might explain the green hair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home