Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Naked

Once you get settled into a job, you get accustomed to the people around you, sort of...skip back to my entry on January 11 titled "Holy Crap". I'm still annoyed by the food noises around me. I wonder if I make annoying food noises?

But those people who don't stand out by annoying you usually fade into the background. They become their functions, especially when you have no first-hand contact with them. If they're in another part of the office, out of your sight, they don't amount to much. You know them by what they can do for you or for what they want you to do for them. Beyond that, they're wallpaper.

A co-worker stepped out from the wallpaper today. She's one of the few who got the surreptitious invite from the deserter to come visit him in England if we're "ever in the neighbourhood". (Aside: Is that really an invite?) So I knew her as part of the inner circle of invitees, those people deemed cool or human enough to be invited. I found some comfort in in that invitation because I was so new to the office. Of course, I sat right next to the deserter, so by default, I was on his radar. However, we shared a similar disdain for some of our more enthusiastic co-workers, so there was more to the friendship than proximity.

Jenn distinguished herself from the masses today with her version of the inclusive email. Titled "Jenn's dance show", she selected a few folks to invite to her dance groups' upcoming performance. Immediately, I was conflicted: "dance shows" can be a swirling masse of embarassment (I'm reminded of the line from the tv show 3rd Rock from the Sun, when Sally invites Dick to see her ballet performance because her teacher says that she dances like a drunk bear. Being from outer space, she doesn't realize that this isn't a compliment.), and I don't usually enjoy participating in swirling masses of embarassment, especially when I'm in the first row and can't avoid eye contact or hide my embarassment.

However, I clicked on the link out of curiousity and politeness. Besides, I read the email further, and noted a warning that there could be nudity. It turns out that she dances with Kokoro Dance, a famous and perhaps infamous (depending how you feel about nudity + art) local dance company.

Immediately, I was unreasonably excited. Not because of the notion of nudity, but because I had learned something secret about a co-worker. I was also excited to know that I know someone who is so brave to not only dance naked, but that I know someone who has the self-confidence and personal fortitude to invite co-workers to come see her dance naked (and not for tips, which would be awkward).

This incident made me realize 2 things about myself: 1) I'm still very lazy (she maintains a full-time job and she dances), and 2) I'm not that interesting. I need to get up off my ass and be active, and I have to pick up a hobby.

Whether or not I keep my clothes on for either is up in the air for now.

So, any suggestions?

1 Comments:

Blogger ritowski said...

hiking comes to mind :)

1:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home