Saturday, September 27, 2008

Are we related?

I received a strange email today. But the story started a few days ago.

I wanted to find something about myself, quickly, so I googled my name. That search provided a link for this book, written by a Russ Klettke. It took me a minute to realize that it was not the Russ that I know. I have been meaning to email about it, but hadn’t had the time.

Then I got an email today from the very same Russ Klettke. He found me via my “professional” blog. He wrote:
Are we related? I too am a writer – for businesses, more or less a recovering PR flack with one published book on nutrition. There aren’t that many of us Klettkes out there. Our tribe is based in Niagara Falls, N.Y., descendants of my great grandfather Rev. Wilhelm Klettke, who emigrated from Warsaw in the 1870s before becoming a Lutheran minister here. I think he had a brother, also in the U.S., but they didn’t seem to keep in touch with each other (religious issues, perhaps – we hear the brother was a Jehovah’s Witness).


My dad's family is very not religious, so I have no idea if we're related or not. But the last name is not so popular, so perhaps we are. I have emailed some relatives to see what they know. As I said in my email to this guy, this could be interesting...

2 Comments:

Blogger Raincoast Girl said...

Well if you ever go to Chicago to visit your long-lost relative for coffee let me know! A drive from here to Chicago is do-able if I have enough lead time.

1:41 PM  
Blogger kuzcolike said...

Hey, good to hear from you. I had to do a little sleuthing to figure out it was you. How is life in the 'Peg?

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home