Friday, December 23, 2005

Love letter to my vegan friends:

It's that time of year, and I have a confession to make: I can cook. Not only am I interested in food (those who know me can plainly see that), but I'm also interested in cooking. Also, as we got older, my sister and I decided that it was important to learn the family "secrets" and also to help out my mom, who traditionally has dinner on the 24th.

That said, I'm going to share a favourite recipe with my vegan friends, meladuck and vulture, because it is good, simple, tasty, and veggie.

Spicy Red Cabbage with Apples:
Ingredients:
4 packed cups shredded red cabbage (1 lb)
1/2 cup water
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
1/4 cup red-wine vinegar (because I know that you have well-stocked pantries)
1 1/4 tsp salt (that's one and one quarter tablespoons)
1/4 cup sugar
4 whole cloves
3 tbsp unsalted butter

Method:
Mix the whole bunch in a Dutch oven. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes, until cabbage is knife-tender. Enjoy.

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home