Sunday, December 04, 2005

Why, oh why, was I in such a miserable mood this morning after a delightful night of grammar wrangling?

I met the classmates at The Grind, an all-night coffee place/gallery/free place to snog, and we opened our books, and we talked obliquely about grammar, and we talked. At the end of 3.5 hours, a couple of us had realized that the most important thing we had learned (besides the clarity derived Sara's persistent unravelling of the mess of appositives, antecedents, and predicate nominatives...thank you, Sara) is that there is a lot that we don't know. But we had some fun while finding that out, so...yay? (or yee-HAW!)

After we were "done", we moved the grammar rodeo down the street to Duffins' Donuts (is that the right name?). This is, I believe, the apparent site of Angie's food poisoning. So far, I have remained undamaged. But if I did suffer ill-effects from a tainted donut, it would serve me right for cracking James' clever code (make circle with thumbs and index fingers), and inviting myself and the others.

But this morning, when I took the ever-charming dog for a walk, I was immediately incensed by the reckless, selfish drivers who were speeding past us through the flurries and along the black ice-covered roads. Sure, it's an open stretch of straightaway, but there's a park, and plenty of houses, and lots of people out walking their dogs and children (the law: both must be on a leash at all times). So I had to refrain from shaking my fist and yelling at the careless drivers (most of whom had the new driver "N" on the back of their cars), and instead enjoy the pleasure of my face freezing in the blowing snow while waiting for my dog to find the most correct spot to make his daily deposit. He loves the snow and the cold, and is in no hurry to get back inside to get warm. On the other hand (or end of the leash), I'd rather be studying grammar than feeling my face harden. And believe me, grammar is no walk in the park on a summer day, either.

I guess that I'd better get back to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home