Tuesday, December 06, 2005

I hope to keep this one short. We had a surprisingly enjoyable day today at school, although I was a little unnerved by a favourite teacher's revelation about the final exam. For some reason, I had always thought of her as extremely fair, but now I have my doubts. When talking about the final exam which is happening on Friday, she said that she wanted a mean for the class of 68%. I was a little surprised by that. That is quite low, as far as I'm concerned. I'm all for instructors being fair, but I don't like talk like that. It sounds like she wants to fail some people, which I think is unreasonable. Sure, it's also unfair to have everyone lumped up near the top, but there's no need to be mean. And then, when my group got our report back, I got the impression that she took a mark off just because she didn't want anyone to get a perfect score. Her comments were extremely positive, and then it seemed like she took off a random mark. I can't complain because we did extremely well, but still...marks should be given for the work that is done. Anyhow, enough bitching.

The rest of her class was a waste of time. We practiced interviewing skills, which sucks, and she knows it. She always prefaces the content which Maureen makes her include by saying "Maureen wants me to do this" and then kind of rolling her eyes ever so slightly. Too funny.

And Sandra's class, though unexpectedly long, was enjoyable, too. I soon realized that I had sort of slacked with her whole research project, and the fact that I chose something easy to work on all semester somehow meant that my "pitch" at the end was boring. There wasn't enough controversy in my dyslexia topic for an interesting angle, although I guess that there's still time to come up with one. Once again, the rebel Ed surprised most of us (I think) by covering the very intriguing topic of insectiside spraying on commercial airlines. I think that he has a winner, there, and so did Sandra. And James, dear James, is too clever for words, and decided to pitch his story to children's science magazines, which I think was a brilliant idea. I'm so jealous of his cleverness.

Oh, and I got most of the class interested in James Lileks. Now I see that he has a new book out which I'll have to scour the book stores for. But that will have to wait until after exams.

And now, it's time to study Gucker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home