Sunday, February 12, 2006

I'm back from Seattle, and did some fairly unexciting things.

First, we stopped in Burlington, where we couldn't resist Krispy Kremes. It was interesting, though, because it appeared that everyone else could resist. That used to be a popular stop for 99% of the Canadians who travelled through that area. We didn't have a KK at home, and so it was novel to bring some back (or eat a bunch on the way down, or do both). It used to be quite busy. Every time we went there, there was a line and the sign was lit up, meaning that they were giving out fresh samples of the Original Glazed hot off the line. This time? The sign wasn't on, there were about 10 people in the store, and they were giving out samples of their chocolate glazed, but cut into bits and presented on toothpicks. Not quite the same feel.

However, that quick stop afforded us the opportunity to witness this unfortunate, misguided car paint job:

Dude who was driving was trying to act so cool, but, the car is pink, with brown and amber splotches. And that's just not cool.

We also stopped at the Prime Outlets mall near Tulalip. It's a big place; there's good selection, but the prices were meh. Bought a couple of cheap books, then we were on our way.

In Seattle, we parted ways. My friend was on her way to the Convention Center for the Northwest Flower and Garden Show. I wandered around the city for a few hours. First, I went to the market.


But it was crowded, and getting dark. I didn't even go into Sur la Table, which is an amazing kitchen store just up a sidestreet from the market.

From there, I went back to the city center, and stopped in at Westlake Center. My destination was a store called Dilettante Chocolates. I had been there before and had lunch, which was really good, hot chocolate (which was amazing...several types of real chocolate hot chocolate from which to choose). I was cursing the Krispy Kreme because I really wanted to try a piece of cake. But I resisted. Unfortunately, the monorail was closed for repairs, or I would have visited the Space Needle and its neighbours (including the Experience Music Project and the Sci-Fi Museum. Ever been, jnadiger? Or am I making an unfair assumption that you would be interested in Sci-Fi?) So I stayed in the city center, wandered around, started reading a new book (Little Children by Tom Perotta). He wrote Election (movie with Reese Witherspoon and Mathew Broderick, and I think Rushmore (movie with Bill Murray?). Anyhow, it was cheap.

When we met up again, we went to the University District on the way home for something to eat. We went to Johnny Rockets for an okay burger, and then went across the parking lot to Ben & Jerry's for some ice cream. I had New York Super Chunk Fudge, and it was good.

Then, we drove back home, crossing the border at 1:30 a.m. It wasn't the most exciting day, but it was better than genre analysis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home