Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Sometimes you're just in the right frame of mind to make connections of elements which were always there, but hadn't really made sense before.

In a recent entry, I revealed a deep resentment over the fact that my sister, when she was still really, really young (under 6 years old), got a pony as a birthday gift. Although my parents had a big yard at the time (3 acres), and there was enough room for the fat pony, it was still necessary to build a barn. After that, there was a lot of upkeep with the pony, especially when it did fun things like rip the siding off the house, eat the trees and plants which my parents wanted to keep, and left large "love bundles" in various places. The upshot? Apparently those love bundles were good for the garden.

From that entry, as pointed out by jnadiger, I have harboured deep resentment over the fact that I never received a monkey for my birthday. To me, it sounded like a fun thing to do, and not so outrageous considering all that had to be done to accommodate that large walking pile of dog food (and the glue stick The King of Print Futures was so desperately looking for today). But alas, I never got my monkey.

Let's stay in the time period (the past), but switch focus for a minute. Apparently my favourite colour was yellow when I was young. Or, according to my aunt, my favourite colour was "lellow". How, cute. I couldn't pronounce the letter "L". How ever more cute...my aunt still talks about it. I can't be sure, but I'd like to think that I've done something more memorable in the 30-odd years it's been since I was that age that we could give that little story a rest. But no.

So where does that get us in the present day? Nowhere, really, except the other day, I saw the ad for the new animated feature based on the Curious George character/books. And I looked at the ad, and I though: "Is that where I got the preference for yellow? Could I have, at a young age, made the connection between the Curious George books, The Man in the Yellow Hat, and the colour yellow?" I think the answer's yes. I always wondered why I decided that I wanted a monkey. And now, thanks to jnadiger pointing out my repressed rage based on pet envy, and the fortuitous event of the Curious George movie opening up soon, I think that I have found a missing piece of my jigsaw puzzle.

Or I could just be talking shit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home