Monday, May 22, 2006

Instead of doing my own homework, I am, instead, trying to help a friend with her essay about Maya Deren, feminist filmmaker. Now, I might make a couple of enemies out there, but why does feminism always have to be so anti-male? It's a bit obvious and annoying. This friend, who is a good and nice person, has somehow gotten herself involved in the women's studies. To me, that is a YIKES! kind of thing.

Her essay is a bit of a mess. She wanted me to edit it for her on a sentence level. At this point, I'm still trying to cram her paragraphs into an outline which makes sense. It's kind of like working with a Laureate.

It rained today, so I did nothing interesting. I read everyone's portraits. We've all been bunched together, I see (James, Melanie, Angie, probably Kai, myself). Good company, I think.

Well, it's time to get back to Maya and her innovative film techniques which she used to subvert the patriarchy of Hollywood, and the sexist narrative structures of Hollywood movie storytelling. Needless to say, I don't think that this group would think that "Pretty Woman" was a step in the right direction.

Oh, now I remember. This afternoon was a bit of a struggle. "Breakfast at Tiffanies" and "The Bachelor and the Bobby-soxer" were both on. I've seen neither, but there were merits in seeing either. "Breakfast" was written by Truman Capote. Enough said. The interesting part? Seeing George Peppard without a cigar stuffed into smirking maw while he goofs off through yet another episode of The A-Team. I had no idea he had a career prior to that asshat show! "The Bachelor" featured the ever-funny Carey Grant in a movie with a plot so convoluted about nothing. So many good-natured, but creepy twists and turns (he's an adult who's forced to date a teenager).

Now, it's timet to get back to the feminist movie-maker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home