Wednesday, January 17, 2007

On second thought, I will post.

I was late to class today (shouldn't have come to school at all). Knowing that it would be stupid to stop in to June's class for 15 minutes, I decided to visit Maureen and pick up my assignments from last semester.

Proud of my magazine design, I decided to show it off to Josie, who had expressed interest last semester. She was especially curious to see what I was able to put together after all of the computer hassels I encountered (or brought on myself...opinions vary depending on who you talk to).

This all went down in the work room, where, due to the format of our midday class, people were strolling in and out of quite frequently. One classmate came in and saw that I had my magazine sitting there. She asked if I had picked it up today, which I told her that I had. Her curiosity took over, and she asked if she could see it. Proudly, I said yes and handed it over. I can't remember how the conversation went exactly, but she commented about how I had extra time to finish it. I defended myself saying that my computer fucked up and that it wasn't my fault. She countered with (and I don't quote here, but paraphrase) "Well, we were told at the beginning that we were responsible for backing up our work and that computer problems weren't going to be accepted as excuses."

I was stunned. I knew that I had fucked up with the computer thing. I had worked for 12 hours that day, and shut off the computer forgetting to back up. It was a freak thing. I was tired. It was nearly 1 am. And I forgot. I'm an honest and hardworking person, and I made sure that when I was granted an extension, I didn't work on the project any longer that I would have if I had worked all weekend on it.

The nastiness of the comment stung me. And although I am a very forgiving person, I'm not sure if I can ever forgive this moment. If the situation were reversed, I wouldn't be this way to this classmate. I know that she, like me, has a very solid work ethic, and that any missed deadline would not be the result of laziness or procrastination. It would be an honest and freaky mistake. I would have thought that she would think the same of my situation, but apparently not.

I think that I learned my biggest lesson on professionalism this semester: sometimes professionalism can get in the way of friendships, logic, and decency.

Now I have to ask, and please be honest: Did it bother any of you that I got to hand in my magazine a few days later than everyone else?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home