Monday, February 20, 2006

I offered to give maikopunk a ride partially home to her new apartment. Now that they have moved, I drive very nearly past their place every time I go to and from school. It seems like a decent thing to do. This was only the second time, and she took me up on my offer. I wonder if she will ride with me again in the future.

I know that she and her husband have a car, so she must understand these things. People like jnadiger, who doesn't drive (wtf?), don't understand that things happen. For instance, today, we couldn't get out of the underground parking lot at school. Technology let us down again! The scanny thingy apparently wasn't recognizing the electronic cards, so the gate wouldn't open. So we were stuck, like sheep, in a line of cars waiting to be let out. Of course, the parking lot guy wasn't around. He's usually sitting in his booth. But this time, like last time, he was MIA. I speculated that he was having his lunch break (@4pm). Maikopunk suggested that he was taking that lunch at Mugs and Jugs around the corner. While waiting patiently, we talked about stripper dollars (because we don't have much paper money any more), the skeeziness of the profession, and real estate. The topic changed when at least two people who drove up and parked behind us proceeded to get out of their cars and walk purposefully up to the car in the front of the line. I got the impression that those two folks thought that they had been put on the planet to straighten things out. Did they really think that the rest of us were that stupid that we'd sit there for 10 minutes thinking that the person in front was just really slow? It's like the people who approach a crowd at an elevator, and just have to press the button themselves because no-one in the crowd looks bright enough to think of hitting the button.

Anyhow, the guy eventually came rushing in (leaving a trail of stripper $ behind him). I was explaining to Maikopunk (who would have probably been at home by that time if she hadn't accepted the ride from me) that our wait might not be over even though the parking lot guy was there, when he surprised me by just opening the gate and letting us through. Not like last week, when the guy hand-cranked the gate opened and closed for every single car that drove through. Perhaps this guy was in a hurry to get back to the strippers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home