Friday, January 11, 2008

Holy Crap

That's not just a comment about the past holiday season. I just checked in and realized how long ago it was that I last blogged. I hadn't realized that it had been so long, but a friend kindly reminded me that it had been a while. And even though I've been too lazy to update my blog, I've been thankful that everyone else has been posting somewhat regularly. I've enjoyed keeping up with your lives, and I realize that it's totally unfair to not keep you updated on mine. Besides, the hijinks and hilarity that I experience every day should not be kept from anyone.

Truthfully, I had been half-heartedly thinking of starting up again. I was falling for the New Year folly of starting things anew. We all know that those things almost never work out. I agree with meladuck: I don't do resolutions (that reminds me...one of the engineers at work today told a really corny joke about computer monitors and New Year's resolutions...it was bad).

But I can't ignore that it's the beginning of the year. This is especially true because we have to do goal-setting for work. I hate that kind of exercise, especially when "your salary increase depends on it". It's like writing a cover letter for a job application. You know what they want to hear, and you give it to them. It's an empty, pointless (except for the $) exercise.

That being said, I have to make some up. I had decided almost immediately that my first goal (even though they have to measurable, etc), was to start the year with a new attitude. But I already gave up on that on the first day everyone was back from Christmas (yes, I said it) holidays. It took one thing to get me back to my same, old miserableness. And what broke me was something that I cannot ignore: food noises.

Every morning, my tech-writing co-worker has yogurt as a mid-morning snack. While the yogurt container is still full, it's fine. But whe's he's finishing it he does the most annoying thing. He's one of those people who do the rapid, little scrapes. Scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape. What the f**K is wrong with your spoon that you have to scrape the plastic container so much? Is it too big for the individual portion yogurt? Does it have holes? Is gravity defeating both the yogurt and you? What the F**K?

Now, see, this is my blog problem. I get so far, and then I don't know how to neatly tie everything together and sum it up. Maybe I won't. Maybe that's why I stopped blogging. I put too much pressure on myself that all my posts be brilliant, and that put blogger's block on me. I've now decided to make that one of my goals (who cares if it isn't work-related). No more pressure, and no more bloggers block.

Ahhhhhh, the freedom. It's delicious.

2 Comments:

Blogger maikopunk said...

I thought I was the only one with a food-sound obsession. I admit, I'm a terrible cutlery scraper, though. I think it has to do with all that "clean your plate" stuff we got as kids.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am so glad to see your blog regarding this terribly annoying habit that my co-worker also has. I actually just googled "yogurt container scraping annoying" because I thought I was going to lose my mind listening to that horrible noise. Glad I'm not alone.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home