Wednesday, January 31, 2007

I was briefly hit by a cosmic wtf this afternoon.

Earlier this week, I had queried/suggested to the illustrious editor-in-chief at alive magazine that the Barenaked Ladies would be in town this week. I thought that the magazine should interview them because I had heard that the Ladies were trying to be eco-friendly during this tour.

In an interview on The Hour with George Stroumboulopoulous (I have no idea how to spell his name), Steven Page and Ed Robertson had described how they were going green this time around. They're using biodiesel in their buses; they're using wind-generated electricty to offset their power use; and they're using biodegradeable stuff backstage (ie "plastic" cups made from a corn product). They also talked about how they're switching to releasing their music digitally on flash drives, to help reduce the amount of waste on the planet.

All of this sounded like a good angle for the magazine. They want to target a younger demographic. Yes, the BNL aren't exactly what the kids are listening to today on their fancy ear/music machines, they are still younger than a lot of the recent cover models (ie Robert Bateman). I thought this was a good idea (maybe not for me to do, but still...a good idea).

So today, this afternoon, I received a phone call from the e-i-c asking for a favour: the magazine had secured an interview that had to be done tomorrow afternoon. I nearly drove off the road. This is it, I thought to myself. Be prepared to take the leap and say "yes".

The e-i-c continued: "It's with that local baseball player who was recently named MVP or something. I can't remember his name, but you know who I mean."

All I could think of was "baseball...I don't know anything about baseball." I agreed to do it. I can't believe this, but I have to cram for the interview. And the worst part...I have to cancel my shift begging for pennies at school. Damn!

PS: It's Justin Morneau. If anyone has any hints, please send them my way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home